1. Hello Guest at some point these forums will be shutting down so please make sure to save anything you'd like to keep. You can reach us in the new Spunland Discord Right Here

To Go Beyond Linear Customization

Discussion in 'Avatars & Interactions' started by Deftones, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Deftones

Deftones New In Town

Lets get one thing straight. I really love customization. Honestly, its one of my favourite things about video games whether it be your character, cars, house, weapon or anything. I only know of few games that really get it down to the core and let you go beyond your imagination. So here's my thought:

What say we don't just have one item per torso, pants, etc for customization in terms of your avatar. If you are familiar with games such as the Saints Row series you will know just about how far you can go with clothing. You have the option of having several layers to complete your look along side color editing, placing logos and even the style that its worn in ( tucked, untucked, buttoned etc. ) along with PLENTY of accessories such as gloves, jewelry, bracelets, bands and everything. Tattoos and a wide variety of hairstyles and colors to choose from.

Why not try something such as this? Why not go around in 30 pairs of boxers, a clown mask and tattoos that show your inner angst?

Okay perhaps that's a little too silly, but lets not limit ourselves here. One of my biggest problems with some games that attempt at customization usually have a set item for each part of the body, like a t-shirt that comes with a jacket, or a hat that comes with a particular hairstyle. Perhaps its just nit-picking, but to me that defeats the purpose of "customization". Lets not have items that are limited to one particular style or limited to how many you can have on your character ( not to go overboard but enough so that it isn't so restricting ) , lets have that free range.

If that's one of your strongest selling points for Neotopia, then by all means go above and beyond the norm.

Man, if I had a dollar for everytime I said "customization", good glory-bee...

NeoHelper and Love Enchantress like this.
  2. Disneynut

Disneynut New In Town

And choice of colors to. Why buy 1 thing multiple times for different colors?

NeoHelper likes this.
  3. Deftones

Deftones New In Town

Precisely, Disneynut.

NeoHelper likes this.
  4. Sharakon

Sharakon ...Is A Pirate

This is a good idea, and I second to this, let us create logos too... and have them be looked at before being published if they're worried about profanity or any sort of ToS breakage

NeoHelper likes this.
  5. Neotopia

Neotopia Administrator Administrator

Hi Def, we're confident we can do some pretty awesome things with the avatar creator and customisation in general, it's technically very difficult to separate layers of clothing and make sure that they're all compatible but we have some awesome artists in our team. Either way, customisation is a huge part of neotopia and we want to take it as far as we possibly can.

6. Deftones

Deftones New In Town

I, in no way, doubt the efforts of the team. I am very positive that they are beyond capable making some really unique and high-quality products and I, as well as the rest of the community, would love to see or get a taste of the kind of things we can expect to come from such an ambitious product. However, if this is taking a similar turn like Home with its several developers making different items, then yes I can COMPLETELY understand what you mean on how it could be complicated attempting to make all the clothing compatible. On the other hand, if a title such as the one I referenced in my post were able to do that on the previous generation console, its safe to say it could be replicated upon this new generation console.

Please note I do not mean to come across ignorant or pushy in a sense, I just really would love to see this live up to its entire and fullest potential, even if it means to tackle some of the finer details. I suppose that we can only wait to see what the team has to offer.

Thanks.

NeoHelper likes this.
  7. Neotopia

Neotopia Administrator Administrator

Hi Def, we totally understand and we are committed to making neotopia as amazing as it can be. As a side note, we'll be following up with some visuals throughout the campaign so please be sure to check back with us regularly :)

Steven1230 and NeoHelper like this.
  8. Spooky-X-Mulder

Spooky-X-Mulder Squatter

this is a wonderful idea, on of the best parts of home is the character customization, either changing clothes and hair around to see what you can make or cosplay. if we can do it all ourselves instead of depending on developers overpriced creations MAN im so in for that. I'd love to design my own buttons and pant colors and shirt designs and logos. what fun it would be just for the ability to create let alone play in the world with your creation.

NeoHelper likes this.
  9. VickyYoshikawa

VickyYoshikawa Plebian

We need folder for my items We need have options for legs to be separate clothes same with right hand and left hand and an option for arms Better hair No more hair hat In other word i can wear a hat with any hair I want Opition to wear layer of clothes not just one Exmaple Wear an under shirt with any jacket i want

NeoHelper likes this.
  10. Superman1284

Superman1284 New In Town

A detail that Homelings valued in Home were its facial customizations. Would like to hear a bit about the limits on customizing the actual appearance of our virtual counterparts. I would advise not to veer too far from what Home was, I have envisioned a Home-like application with more realism, perhaps. Looking forward on seeing this project progress.

NeoHelper likes this.
  11. Arwen

Arwen Resident

Totally agree about the hair, I hate the change of hair style if a hat is put on.

NeoHelper likes this.
  12. Oo_sKy_bLuE_oO

Oo_sKy_bLuE_oO sky

I am excited and looking forward to seeing what the next generation will be like. I am like a kid laying in bed on Christmas Eve waiting for Santa Clause to arrive. Laying there with my arms under my head and feet bouncing with anticipation as I imagine what my eyes will see when I wake up (if I ever fall asleep 😉). Thank you Mad Munki for putting the child like wonderment back in my life. I will support you from today onward. It's so awesome to be on the ground floor of something epic!

NeoHelper and Love Enchantress like this.
  13. Oo_sKy_bLuE_oO

Oo_sKy_bLuE_oO sky

Superman, would it not be glorious to see Neotopia incorporate the best of Home but also go far beyond what that platform offered? I interpret Homelings as having a reverent respect for the past but also embracing the future. Let's take this new concept of Neotopia to its glorious limits and show Sony what could have been if they truly nurtured this idea.

14. NeoHelper

NeoHelper Neotopia Guru

That would be awesome to create our own logos for our clothes, maybe buy a feature that we can be able to craft our own clothing for $5 per clothing.
    Like a ticket to buy so we can go somewhere and craft what we made. :)

15. Superman1284

Superman1284 New In Town

Indeed, sky, would love to see expanded customizations built upon a similar format as Home. A mix perhaps of familiarity and innovation.

16. Superman1284

Superman1284 New In Town

Unreal Engine is available to the public, perhaps allow artists skilled in the program to create items that fit specifications for in-game use or at least mock ups taken for consideration.

17. Love Enchantress

Love Enchantress My love is forever...

Neotopians

I can't wait to experience this!

NeoHelper likes this.
  18. Greenshade

Greenshade Neotopian

Yes! Hated that. It's all in the details!

19. Seminole

Seminole Resigned

I love customization!

NeoHelper likes this.
  20. teentekken

teentekken Mileena Loyalist

@Neotopia I really like the idea of customizations on Neotopia. I really like how the customization features are beginning to have more options. Customizations on Home, to me, are limited, because they limit the ability to add contrast colors to our avatars and clothing. On Neotopia, you should include the color customization feature on the clothing, hair and skin as well. You know, kharacter skin tones. I also want the color picker for skin tones, clothing, and hair.

NeoHelper likes this.