1. Hello Guest at some point these forums will be shutting down so please make sure to save anything you'd like to keep. You can reach us in the new Spunland Discord Right Here

Upgrading Forum Software [VOTE]

Discussion in 'Forum Archive' started by UncleSpun, Nov 10, 2014.

?

Hi there neotopians! As part of rejuvenating the community and preparing ourselves for the continue

1. Stick with the current forum system

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Move to the new forum system (EmbraceTomorrow!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. UncleSpun

UncleSpun Developer Staff Member Administrator Developer

Hi there neotopians!

As part of rejuvenating the community and preparing ourselves for the continued quest to neotopia we have as you will have already seen, made some small alterations to the look of these forums, but we feel that they are a bit clunky and there are many things we would like to add which we cannot simply due to the software. So we would like to move over from the current system (vBulletin) to a new one (xenforo). See the image below for an idea of what the new forums would look like. The key thing is that it should make using them a lot easier, give us a proper gallery for your wonderful community showcase and let us add a Shoutbox.

But like all changes there is a slight cost; we can move over all of the posts, your ids and so on, but we will lose attachments (such as images and video posted) simply as the new software works in a different way. It will be possible for you to re-add these but it will not be automatic. We realize that this is a big change and so will not do so without your say-so as so many of you have committed a lot of your valuable time to these forums already. But if we were to make the change now is the time to do it.

The Poll will be left open till the end of the week to give you plenty of time to respond.

All the best and thanks for all of your contributions so far!

​

2. UncleSpun

UncleSpun Developer Staff Member Administrator Developer

And this is a rough idea of what the new forums would look like:

3. XxguthiX

XxguthiX Citizen

I only like it because it has the chat box and also the design looks nice too

4. Arwen

Arwen Resident

Like the layout and the addition of the shoutbox........but it's still very pink.
    No problem about the attachments, can easily upload all again.

5. AlboGodZ

AlboGodZ Squatter

That's XenForo? Not a big fan of the design, the pink color looks too "girl'ish"

I'd stick with IP.Board all the way xD I am able to help with some css if you go with IP.Board.

However, everything is better than vBulletin. XenForo are actually old vBulletin dev's that moved on lol, i wonder if they are still in lawsuit with each other.

6. AlboGodZ

AlboGodZ Squatter

I personally love IP.Board if that could be a option, they have alot of skins that could be customized and i am sure they have the features that are needed.

The background etc is just quick mockup, dosen't fit very well.. But eh, looks cleaner than XenForo. However, this skin also lets the user customize hes skin, to other stuff like other backgrounds! Could do neotopia spaces and stuff: http://i.imgur.com/GyDfSv0.png

IP.Board has a awesome chat, awards system (badgets that can appaer on your post bit) and other fun stuff for the community.

Also custom forum icons.

I actually have a IP.Board license I am able to "donate" away, i am allowed to give it out once or so i think.

IP.Board can also merge attachments:
    - http://i.imgur.com/qSNwrcr.png

[​IMG]

Haymaker Snoopy-Panda and Arwen like this.
  7. Arwen

Arwen Resident

Good design, liking it very much and I don't need sunglasses :-D

8. AlboGodZ

AlboGodZ Squatter

I have license for this forum software which I'm allowed to give away or sell, i can donate it to Neotopia if they go with ipboard, i hate xenforo and vbulletin lol.

I have "IP.Content" aswell, lets you create custom pages within the forum with custom permissions. IP.Blog can be purchased aswell, however that's nothing comparng to buying the entire software

9. Trigga_Trill24

Trigga_Trill24 New In Town

i love the look of the new forum fresh and new

10. sweetheart-Amy

sweetheart-Amy New In Town

It looks Nice :)

JasonReso likes this.
  11. Karen

Karen Homie since 2007

XenForo is the way to go in my opinion. It is the creation of those who left Vbulletin and is much nicer.

12. AlboGodZ

AlboGodZ Squatter

Could you please elaborate why it's way to go, other than yourpshome is using it?

13. Gundyrat

Gundyrat Squatter

Nothing wrong with a little pink in a guys life :)

14. interceptor_maxx

interceptor_maxx Mad Max

I dunno....migrating to another forum software package seems like a hassle for a few bells and whistles.

15. Sharakon

Sharakon ...Is A Pirate

Guys can we not make the website so bright!!!!!!!! lmao imma need my sunglasses on everytime i come to this website

16. Zeelot

Zeelot Squatter

Change is always good but not good for some, I would like to see a New look and im sure the preview they have shown will do just fine. Though it is hard to see the pic it looks well designed.

17. Abiatha

Abiatha Petrolhead

I don't really mind either way but happy to try something new. I see phase1 of neotopia now being over and we are now into phase2, so a new forum would be a great start. I do agree with some of the other comments that it's all very pink. I love pink myself but it does look a bit girly. Not sure if that's the way to go if this is supposed to represent Neotopia to the world. However, the main thing is communication so whatever makes that better is good with me.

18. tallsloguy

tallsloguy NeoKnight

Same here. I don't mind either. Use to this one.

19. Haymaker Snoopy-Panda

Haymaker Snoopy-Panda New In Town

Yea, I dig this myself! I think it would be cool if Dave and friends choose to use your design AlboGodZ!

20. Haymaker Snoopy-Panda

Haymaker Snoopy-Panda New In Town

I actually think Albo's design is spot on and features those cool colorful symbols in the background. Brings some life to it :)